Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Let's Try That Again.

I worked on a post for almost two hours and then accidentally deleted it so here's the short version (sigh): 

I went to the oncologist on March 15th to hear about the chemo/radiation plan and instead the nurse found an infection near my healing incision. The same surgeon who performed my Feb. 24th surgery opened the wound up on March 16th, washed it out, checked out my bone, and inserted an irrigation system in my scalp that flushed the infected area for the next five days in the hospital while I was being pumped full of anitibiotics. I loved the nurses, the dietitian, and especially the meal delievery lady who discovered my love for grilled cheese. I hate staying in the hospital but I was grateful for my awesome nurses and the spectacular view out the window. 
the drains containing my "head juice"or my particular favorite "head punch"
Me (full of fluid and anitibiotics) and my favorite nurse, Daniel

The beautiful view from my bed

Flowers from my aunt and uncle :)


I got to go home March 22nd but I am still getting antibiotic infusions three times a day through a PICC line in my right arm. The cultures showed that it was a staph infection so we are all  happy my bone was not infected or this could have been much more serious. We go back to UCSF tomorrow to finally hear what the plan for radiation/chemo will be. I am praying that God will continue to heal my body and protect it from both therapies' possible side effects. Not knowing exactly what the next few months will hold is very scary for me but Psalm 23:4 says:  
Even though I walk 
   through the darkest valley,[a] 
I will fear no evil, 
   for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, 
   they comfort me.

Matt Redman sings about God's unconditional love and presence in his song "You Never Let Go." I have been encouraged and comforted by the chorus this week, maybe you will be too. Check it out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83-vMeWc9E


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, Maggie. We're all praying for you- and I'm once again awed by your grace and patience with this whole thing. The Lord will carry you through it! <3

    ReplyDelete